Monday, January 24, 2011
Today, the first thing I did when I got out to the garage was to pick up all the tools and put them where they belong. I had stuff scattered all over the place. Then I started working with the rubber seals that fits in the B-Posts to seal the back of the window frame when the door is closed.
This is a short piece, about a foot long, that fits in a groove in the B-Post. (they sent me 4 of then, but I can't figure out where the other two go, if anybody knows, give me a holler) Simple enough you say? I thought so too. But it proved to be a little more than I had thought. The rubber has to be slid into a slot and if it would slide past the beginning of the slot, it would have been a piece of cake.
Unfortunately the Brits didn't take into consideration that someone one day would want to replace this. With the help of a flat head screwdriver, some Windex, and a hard piece of plastic, I managed to poke it into place without doing any apparent damage to either the rubber or the B-Post. I then decided that it would be a good idea to put some generous amounts of tape on all the edges of the body and in areas where I would be working to protect the gorgeous paint.
I then installed the cantrails that hold the rubber gasket around the rear quarter windows. Using the same technique as before, I was finally able to fit that seal as well. I polished the B-Posts and fitted them to make sure everything was in order.
I am a little disappointed with the job that this outrageously loud vibrating thing does on the nuts and bolts that I put in there. I think I could do just as good of a job with a bench grinder and wire wheel, but I'll give it a little more time. I probably have the wrong kind of media in it.
While I was doing all that I also watched the NFL playoffs... I wasn't too concerned with who won, since the Saints were out of it. It looks like it's going to be the Packers and the Steelers, two of the really old teams, should be a good game. Too bad it's being played in Dallas.