Friday, February 4, 2011

Starting on the wiring

 Today was a good day,  Stuart came by to take a look at his Triumph Stag that has been staying in my garage while he has traveled the world with his work for the last 6 months.  He's fired up and ready to get busy restoring it.  He and I chatted for a little while then he went about working on the Stag while I continued my work on the E-Type.  I accomplished a good bit today.  I pulled the main bonnet wiring harness through this little bitty hole made even smaller by the fact that I had to put the weatherproof grommet in the hole first.  Inch by inch I finally got it shoved through, everything seems to line up with where it should be in the engine compartment.


The old harness
  I seemed to be missing something... I searched, then checked the invoice where I had purchased the harnesses...  I had failed to get a new Dash harness..  this is the harness that has all the lights, fuse connections, gauges etc.  I don't know if, at the time, I was thinking that I would just make do with the old harness or if I just failed to order it.  Nonetheless, I have to order one, the old one is much too stiff and discolored.  I'll get on that tomorrow.

 At that point, Rodney came in to hang out and help with whatever we were doing. I couldn't find part of the harness  I asked Stuart to take a look at the wiring diagram and help me see how the bonnet harness would hook up to the 2 rear harnesses. We (Stuart) worked at it and figured most of it out. Rodney and I proceeded to connect the inside portion of the harness. Hopefully tomorrow I can find a dash harness that isn't too outrageously expensive and/or isn't 4-6 weeks away.  With that discovery, I could go no further at the dash.  



After Rodney and Stuart left, I went ahead pulled the wires through the bodywork to the rear.  For some strange reason, Jaguar chose to route the wires going to the right side of the rear (right side taillights) down the passenger side of the car and the ones going to the left side of the car (left side taillights, fuel sending unit, fuel pump and back-up light) down the driver's side...  then both harnesses meet in the rear, not more that 3 feet from each other...  seems to me that they could have easily all gone down one side.  But what do I know?

After doing that, I had some more time to kill and was on a roll, so I went forward and started mounting the radiator tank and bracket.  Now the ENTIRE front of the car is held together with 5/16" bolts, that's what holds the engine, front suspension, huge bonnet and everything else that is in front of the driver to the part containing the driver... So, explain to me why 5/16" bolts are strong enough for that, but it takes to big honkin' 3/8" bolts to hold the little radiator tank and bracket on!  Who knows.  I'm sure that there is probably a perfectly good explanation for it.   While I was there, I wanted to see how the fan motor that I got from CoolCal was going to fit so I got it out of its box and started to mount it... one thing that they didn't mention was that to mount it you either had to take the steering rack loose or take the motor and it's bracket completely apart to get it to go on the picture frame mount. I chose to take the bracket off of the motor.
Not a huge problem, and it's mounted.  I'm sure I haven't thought things through entirely and I will probably at some point in the near future, have to remove one or both the motor and the steering rack to install some little bracket or something.  I'll cross that bridge when I get to it...  for now, I'm going to bed. 




  

No comments:

Post a Comment