Monday, February 28, 2011

It's a Vinyl Record

I had a busy weekend and didn't get too much done on the Jag.  Today was a little more productive, I got up with intentions of getting a lot done.  Then my dad called and asked if I was going to be home, he and my brother-in-law from Montgomery were wanting to come over to see the car and check out my progress.  Actually I think he was looking for an excuse to get out of the house.  They arrived about lunchtime and took a look around, then we headed out to one of Dad's favorite places for lunch.  It's a little home cooking place in Robertsdale.  He and I had liver and onions, my brother-in-law got some fried chicken. So when I got back to the house, I was about ready for a nap, but instead I got out in the garage to see what I could get done.



The clock in the tach is still at the Jag Clock repair place

Over the weekend I had glued some of the new vinyl cover on the instrument panels and before they got here this morning, I got the rest of it glued and clamped.  When I got back from lunch, it was ready to unclamp and start putting the gauges in.  I actually got the gauges all together, new seals and all and got them installed in the dash.  Then I started on the other various switches, lights and levers that go in there.
I succeeded in getting those in and amazingly, didn't screw any of it up.  I don't have a lot of experience with things like glue and vinyl, so this was definitely a vinyl record for me.  You wouldn't think that putting all the stuff back in the dash would be all that difficult, maybe it isn't, maybe I was just trying to be extra careful, assuming that it won't all peel off tomorrow, I'm very happy with the result.
You'll notice that the toggle switches that go across the bottom are still not installed.  I am trying to recondition them, the toggles are some sort of black plastic, or whatever was being used in 1964.  It's all discolored now and I have been trying different things to make them look better.  It looks like I'm just going to have to order a set of toggle levers.  Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the old ones off and the new ones on.  You can bet that if I go that route, I will be getting all of the advice I can find... the switches are VERY expensive for some reason.

2 comments: