Monday, February 21, 2011

Slow but Steady

It's been a couple of days since I posted anything to this blog.  I have actually accomplished a number of things, all seem somewhat small when looked at alone, but they all add up.  It seems like everything I do, is preceded by looking in the book to make sure I have all the parts ready, often I don't.  Then I search through my picture collection on the computer for pictures that will either show me how it was on my car originally, or look through the hoards of pictured that I have downloaded and somewhat cataloged of other similar cars being restored.  It's been a great reference.  THEN I round up the necessary nuts and bolts, screws, gaskets, and other various parts, some of which need some restoration themselves.  Once that is all done and I'm satisfied that I might actually be able to complete the task, I start on it.  Often, the actual task will only take a few minutes once I have all the pieces.  Of course, anyone doing this type of restoration will eventually come to the realization that all too often, after completing one task, you fine that in order to go to the next task, you will have to undo some part (or all) of the task you just completed.  I wish someone would write a "step by step" restoration guide for the E-Type.  There may actually be such a guide, but that would be classified as "instructions" and who wants to be bothered with instructions...  that's literature for weenies!
So on to what I have accomplished.  About a week or so ago Rodney and I fitted the front suspension, remember?  Well, it looked so good and went together so easily and we were so proud of it, that I had forgotten that we had just "fitted" it.  Mike Darby came over to visit and while he was here asked if I was ready to align the front end.  I told him that I was, so we proceeded, only to find that I had not put the inner washers on any of the rubber bushings, allowing for a substantial amount of slack...  this reminded me that we had only put the front end together to make sure I had everything...  not intending for it to be permanent.  So...  Mike left and I took the front end back apart, installed the inner washers and put it back together.  It would have been a LOT easier if I had put them in to begin with....  but it was ONLY A TEST FITTING!!!  ...sigh...
Having done that, I went ahead and hooked up the brake lines, permanently I hope, and mounted the brake hose.  That was yesterday evening.
Yesterday morning, I went on a field trip with my car club, the South Alabama British Car Club, to a big car collection.  It was a beautiful day and you can read all about it and see some of the gorgeous cars here.




Today, I decided to attach the brake & clutch reservoirs to the frame.  There is a heat shield that goes between the reservoirs and the engine.  It's located on the same side as the exhaust manifold so the heat shield is to prevent the brake fluid from getting too hot.  This heat shield is made of galvanized metal and some kind of fibrous stuff that has taken the place of asbestos, I'm sure.  It was in pretty ugly condition and since I have just become a KoolMat distributor, I decided to use some of their Zero Clearance product.  It's a fiberglass composite mat with a heavy aluminum foil backing and a high temp pressure sensitive adhesive.  It's primarily designed to be used between the muffler or exhaust pipes and the floor to keep the floor cool but this shield looked like a perfect place to give it a try.  It had a peel-off plastic backing so you just peel and stick, pretty simple. Then I hooked up the "Low Fluid" wiring to the brake fluid reservoir caps and voila...  one more step completed.
While I was working in that area, I went ahead and installed the started solenoid and the voltage regulator.  I'm really pleased with how well everything is looking.  I honestly had no intention of taking this restoration this far.




I'm still waiting for the instrument seals to be delivered.  I ordered them two weeks ago tomorrow.  They were supposedly sent out by U.S. Mail on last Wednesday.  As soon as I get those, I will start completing the wiring.  I have to remember though to be sure and install the 3 heater pipes  and the windshield wiper assembly into the dash before I go too far and have to take anything else back apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment