Thursday, September 1, 2011

Interior Successes and Woes

I have been working diligently on completing the interior.  Sometimes it seems like things are just working against me.  I ordered all of the interior materials from what was considered a very reputable company that specializes specifically in Jaguar interiors.  I also sent them my console and the hinge and latch covers from the rear hatch because I wanted them to be "professionally" covered.  The covers are covered in moquette, a material that has a coarse fuzzy texture used in several places in the early Jag E-Types. All of the moquette is supposed to be the same color.  As this upholstery project proceeded, I pulled the moquette out of storage and began calculating just how it all would install when I thought "wait a minute there's something wrong here".  I went and got the hinge and latch covers from their box and they were covered in a totally different color moquette.  As I learned when I had to order more vinyl, these people NEVER answer their phone.  You have to listen to a very long sales message before you can even leave a message.  Then they call you back at their leisure.  I was appalled at their lack of concern, but I won't get into that, although I'd like to.  I think I have finally gotten it all straighten out and they are making it good, although I did have to pay to send the pieces back to be recovered.


All of this moquette is suppose to be the same color
The original seat doesn't quite match,
but that's not anybody's fault, I just can't
afford right now to get them redone, but it's on the list


That's not the first difficulty I have had with this particular supplier, but life goes on.  Considering that I know nothing about what I'm doing, I'm making good progress.  The little courtesy boxes just behind the seats, on the quarter panel, needed to be covered, originally they were flocked in gray.  Mike Darby gave me some very fine wool cloth very similar to the headliner, it was perfect but as it turned out, there wasn't enough there.  I went up to Bay Auto Glass and Upholstery and rifled through their remnants and found something that looked pretty good.  Now covering them was another head scratcher.. I managed to get it looking a lot better than I thought I would though.

Quarter Panel box (covered)

Original Quarter Panel box (uncovered)
Quarter Panel box installed
These small boxes were included in only the earlier cars.  I found them still in their place when I was removing the old interior.  They were hidden by the newer style quarter panel that a previous owner had installed.  I think it's pretty neat to resurrect them, and they might actually be useful.  I'm thinking... I'll come up with something to put in them.




Quarter Panel installed
I got the quarter panels installed.  It wraps around the door jam  and screws into place. There is another vertical piece that has to go in there too, making it pretty difficult to get it all lined up.I actually don't see how they could have built even one of these cars in
a month, let alone in the numbers that they turned out.







Installing the cantrail
The cantrails are some upholstered pieces that surround the rear window and door opening.  If you have been following the blog, you will remember when I was struggling with getting them covered.  Turns out, getting them covered was the easy part.  Getting them aligned and screwed in was more of a challenge.  Rodney came over tonight and was able to help with the driver's side, making it a lot easier.  It was completed.  In fact, nearly all of the interior is done now.  In celebration, we shared a glass of Glenfiddich single malt, and talked about how great we were. 


Both cantrails are installed.
it's nearing the end
I do lots of researching of pictures


The colors aren't different, it's just
a reflection or something.

I'm ready for a drive, just need to put the engine in.
There are actually quite a few other things that need to be done, but the single malt stilled seemed like a good idea.  I have to figure out where I'm going to mount the retractable seatbelt thing. The luggage rails in the back still need to be mounted, then there's the doors, I haven't even started on them yet.  That'll probably be the next big thing I work on.  I'm expecting the rear brakes and transmission very soon, then I can put the rear suspension in, it's all ready except for the brakes.  I have to finish making the clutch and brake lines, the fuel line, install the guts into the fuel tank, none of which is major, but it's gonna be hard driving the car without getting it done.  I'll keep ya posted.

5 comments:

  1. Richard,
    Things are really looking good ... too bad you did not have the same color for the pocket thingies, but I think they look fine ... can't wait to see some pictures of you driving it down the road ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you give us a hint as to who the problem supplier was....canadian perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wish you best of luck for all your best efforts. passenger lift Delhi, Goods Lift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wish you best of luck for all your best efforts. passenger lift Delhi, passenger lift manufacturer Delhi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lars Bergstrand - Poulsen, DenmarkDecember 23, 2011 at 6:02 PM

    Hello Richard,

    I just found your blog.
    Very enjoyable, especially as I am currently restoring a similar car ('65 fhc)and is more or less at the same stage as you (installing interior), allthough I have installed all the mechanicals and have the engine running.
    I admire your "garage" (or more correctly described "factory", with room for several cars,and room for a "mess" without seeming cluttered. I haev a two-car garage, one half of which is occupied by bicycles and other irrelevent stuff !
    I enjoy reading your comments, they are very well written, with humour and a lot of good observations. I wish you good luck with the project and a merry christmas.
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete