Friday, August 5, 2011

The Headliner Saga Continues

I have managed to get the wool skirt covering installed in the grove around the top of the cantrail.  This is a piece of very high quality English wool, matching the wool that we just installed on the ceiling.  There is a rubber hose sewn in a hem on one side of the wool that is supposed to be squeezed into a tiny groove around the ceiling.
Just getting it started
This wool covers the area between the roof and the and the windows.  Stuffing the hose into the groove was, to say the least, difficult. I spent most of the day getting it done without ripping the wool.  Laying on my back with all sorts of protrusions poking me in the back was definitely not comfortable.

Then working with my arms stretched out above me was tiring.  Am I whining?  You better believe it, but I did managed to get it done.  Now I have to work my way down installing the rest of the interior. I was by myself, so nobody took any pictures of me actually working...  but I promise I did.
Whew!!  I honestly didn't think I get it done.
One side finished












One more thing I managed to finish was the handbrake. It's a pretty complicated little bugger. It's kinda like building a ship in a bottle with all the pieces you have to get aligned inside of the handle through a small hole in the end. I know, the one piece on the side is supposed to be chrome...  I forgot to send it to the chrome shop with the rest of it...  It doesn't show anyway, so I just coated it with a Cad spray from Eastwood. It should lasts another 40 years or so.



Rodney came over tonight and he and I started measuring and fitting the moquette on the wheel arches.and making a plan of attack for the rest of it.  In case you aren't aware of it, it's rumored that Rodney is an "expert" at interiors, even if that rumor isn't true, I'm still very appreciative of his help.  The same is true for many of my friends. Mike Darby, Stuart Waddington, Michael King, Noel Eagleson and many others.

My vinyl is supposed to be here tomorrow according to UPS.  We'll see.  If so, I should be able to get a lot done this weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Looking good Richard! I would be tempted to cover the headliner in plastic to keep it looking pretty! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm ... no photos of the installer ... guess we will just have to believe you did it all by yourself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can judge my level of expertise by the size of the bill I'll send you!

    ReplyDelete