Monday, February 14, 2011

Sugar Scoops?

This weekend I think I got a lot done.  When Rodney left the other night, I had been searching high and low for some little captive nuts and holders that go on the headlight buckets.  About 2 minutes after he left, I walked over to the workbench and there they were, in the little baggie that I put them in.  Go figure!  So I proceeded to put the headlight buckets together.  They go into the diaphragm panels that then mount in the bonnet. This whole process requires a pretty specific sequence.  If you don't put it together in the right sequence, you will just have to take it back apart. Don Pritchett came over Saturday night and was a big help getting the diaphragms mounted.  It's a difficult thing for one person to do.  There are a number of wiring connections to be made.  The horns, the headlights and the side marker (parking) lights.  I mounted 2 new "after market" horns and had to fabricate a bracket for them.  Don then helped me run the wires.  I managed to get both sides put together and installed.   



Then came the Sugar Scoops.... They are the little curved pieces of bodywork that fill the recessed hole under the headlights.  I think the same guy must have designed these things that designed the fuel tank.  First you have to figure out how to get the things into the hole where they will reside.  By all appearances, they are too big to go in, but eventually, you turn them just the right way and they just fall in.  Then you have to align 3 captive nuts to get it mounted.  It's kind of like building a ship in a bottle..  but harder.  I got one completed and I got two of the captive nuts lined up on the other one but will need some help getting the last bolt in.  I need somebody to bend the sugar scoop from one side while I start the bolt from the other.  I then was very anxious to get at least one glass cover and chrome surround on so I could feel like I had completed something.  Maybe Stuart will be here tomorrow and he can help me to get the other sugar scoop in.


I also had some time to glue new vinyl on the center section of the dash. I think that went ok, I'm letting the glue "cure" now.  I still have the other two sections to do, but I'm not going to rip the old vinyl off until I see how the center section works out.  I have been doing a lot of things that I'm not real accustomed to doing, but it all seems to be going pretty well so far.

I know I did several other things, but I can't really remember them all right now.  When I think of something, I'll make another post. :-)











1 comment:

  1. I'm sensing a theme here - what was lost is now found. Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete