Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Brakes and Pedal Box

Looking at the car and trying to decide what to do next, I settled on the pedal box and the master cylinders.  I had partially disassembled the pedal box a long time ago, but left the servo linkage intact because I knew if I took it apart, when I went to put it back together, I would have a real struggle.  It's like a puzzle.  As is it, I'm still concerned about putting it back together and I JUST took it apart.
I went ahead and took it apart, there are a number of nylon washers and spacers that are very discolored, I ordered a new set that should be here in a day or so. After getting it apart, I carefully cleaned each piece and clear coated them with a light coating of clear enamel.
With this awaiting the rebuild kit, I directed my attention to the master cylinders... yes plural, it has two brake master cylinders.  It was an early solution to compliance with safety standards, one controls the front brakes and one controls the rear.  Mine were pretty nasty looking.  I took them apart, cleaned them thoroughly and began honing the bores.  Knowing that this was ahead of me, and realizing that the bores were only 5/8" diameter, I had ordered a brake cylinder hone that would fit since none of the ones I had would go down that small.  Once getting the cylinders honed smooth, I then needed to get some brake fluid and assembly lube. The fluid I got from O'Reilly's and a small bit of assembly lube from my good friend Mike Darby  Since I had decided to use DOT5 fluid, I was concerned about the assembly lube.  Once assured that it would be OK to use the lube with the DOT5 fluid I proceeded.
The master cylinders are simple systems and went together fairly easily. Except when I was putting the spring part together on one of them and it slipped and launched the end piece out of my hand and across the shop. I had to spend nearly an hour finding it.  Hopefully I will find out if they'll stop the car one of these days.  Once I get the bushings in for the pedal assembly, I'll be posting that process.

2 comments:

  1. The master cylinders cleaned up nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that Jag used twin master cylinders to comply with the dual circuit requirement of '67 (?). I was riding with a friend of mine in his MGA (the Glacier Blue with the Minilite style wheels that won first place in the 1600 class at the New Orleans show) when the MGA behind us lost his brakes. Talk about "pucker factor"! He missed us and went into the oncoming lane of traffic threading the needle between the stopped cars and the oncoming traffic. It turned out that the right rear wheel cylinder popped a seal and dumped all of the fluid. I sat with the car while they went back for a tow vehicle and had some time to scheme about installing a second master cylinder and splitting the circuits front to rear. I didn't know this had already been done. :-)

    ReplyDelete